Dr. Subhash Khanna
About / Area of Intersest
Dr. Subhash Khanna, a former professor of Surgery, Gauhati Medical College, passed MBBS and MS from Gauhati Medical College in 1979 and 1983 respectively and was awarded Fellowship of International College of Surgeons in 1992. He is the first and one of the best surgeons in Guwahati and North East to start Laparoscopic surgery way back in 1992. He has over 120 publications and scientific presentations to his credit and several “firsts” to his credit. Apart from Basic Laparoscopic surgery he has also been a forerunner in many newer Surgical Techniques in the North East.
It was Dr. Khanna, one of the best surgeons in Guwahati who started advance laparoscopic surgery in the state of Assam and also started the first Bariatric surgery centre in the North East India and also made the first use of Single port and staplers in the North East. He is also one of the first surgeons in Guwahati and in the country to start and introduce the techniques of endoscopic management of Complex Anal Fistula in Ano and Endoscopic Scarless Surgery for goitres. He has undergone Advanced Laparoscopic training in Dundee, Scotland in 1997 and in Vienna (Austria) in 1998. He has been the Vice President of “Hernia Society of India” and runs regular training Courses in Hernia Surgery. He has been an examiner for Dental and MS courses under Gauhati University. He is also an examiner and Inspector for DNB in Minimal Access Surgery, recommended by National Board of Examinations and also Inspector of Medical Council of India. In the year 2000, he established the first Minimal Access Surgical Centre in Eastern India, where he runs regular Hands – On - Laparoscopy and Endoscopy training courses and in the year 2015 he established the first Super Speciality Surgical Institute of the North east India at Guwahati.
Dr. Khanna, one of the best surgeons in Guwahati has been instrumental in organising various seminar, workshops and CME courses on Minimal Access Surgery and Therapeutic endoscopy. Apart from delivering various C M E lectures Dr. Khanna has the honour of conducting innumerable CME’s and Live Surgical Workshops in different parts of the country and abroad. He has taken special interest in public health of his locality by organising health checkup Camp in various parts of state.
He has also been a National trainer in Ethicon Endosurgery Institute and Animal lab at Mumbai since 1995. He had contributed Chapters to various books and journals including for “Recent advances of Surgery” a postgraduate reference book, and has also made important contributions to the “Guidelines of Minimal Invasive Surgery” a book endorsed by Ministry of Health, Govt of India and Medical Council of India. He has been the founder executive member and past Vice President of Indian Association of Gastro- intestinal Endo Surgeons on three occasions. An active member of Association of Surgeons of India (ASI) he was involved as an actively in starting the Assam State Chapter of A S I and had also been the Governing Council Member (Assam) of Association of Surgeons of India on two occasions. He also took the initiative to start the first Newsletter of the Association of Surgeons of Assam .With experience of over 20,000 Endolaparoscopic Surgeries Dr. Khanna has been Instrumental in training over 400 Surgeons of the state and rest of the world. His Centre has endorsement of Medical Council of India to take Foreign surgeons for training.
He is also recipient of Dr. G P Sarma memorial Oration of (2014) and also the prestigious Dr. Santokh Singh Endowment Lecture of ASI (2014) ,the first such recipient from State of Assam.
In affiliation with state Medical University, Sankaradeva University of Health Sciences he has started Swagat Academy of Medical Sciences that runs formal Fellowship and Diploma Courses in Minimal Access Surgery. He is immediate past president of Association of Surgeons of Assam (2014) and Dean of Swagat Academy of Medical Sciences.
1. M.B.B.S.Gauhati Medical College, Gauhati University, Jan. 1979
2. M.S.Gauhati Medical College, General SurgeryGuwahati University, Oct. 1983
3. F.I.C.S. Fellowship of International College of Surgeons, June 1991
4. FIAGES Honorary Fellow-Indian association of Gastro intestinal Endosurgeons
5. F.A.L.S. Honorary Fellow Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, 2012
6. EFIAGES: Fellowship in G.I Endoscopy – IAGES, 2016
+919864023338, (0361) - 2541535, 2547484, 2637899, 2519026(O)
Professor of Surgery(Agartala Govt Medical College - 2006 To 2010)
Professor of Surgery(Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam - 01.12.98 To 29.05.2000)
Observer(Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, U.K. - 01.07.97 To 20.07.97)
Associate Professor Of Surgery(Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam - 26.05.95 To 30.11.98)
Assistant Professor Of Surgery(Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam - 08.01.91 To 26.05.95)
Resident Surgeon Of Surgery(Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam - 09.01.84 To 10.11.90)
Resident Surgeon Of Surgery(Silchar Medical College, Silchar, Assam - 17.11.90 To 31.12.90)
Post-Graduate of General Surgery(Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam - Nov ’81 To Oct ’83)
Resident House Surgeon In Urology & Casualty(Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam - 16.04.81 To 15.10.81)
Resident House Surgeon in Surgery & Casualty(Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam - 16.04.80 To 15.04.81)
Rotating Internship(Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam - Feb ’79 To Feb ’80)
President -Association of Surgeons of Assam(2014)
Dean, Swagat Academy of Medical Sciences.
Editorial Board Member-Journal of Minimal Access Surgery.
Editor -Surgery Papyrus-Newsletter Association of Surgeons of Assam.
Conference Seminar Details
1. Continuing Medical Education Programme of First Annual Conference of Association of Surgeons of Assam, 3rd - 4th Nov. ’90. Joint Organising Secretary and Chairman Scientific Committee.
2. Continuing Medical Education Programme and Workshop on “ Gastro-intestinal Endoscopy”. 37th Annual Conference of International College of Surgeons (Indian Section) - Goa, Sept. 27-29, ’91.
3. Training in Laparoscopy at the dept. of “Obstet. and Gynae.” Gauhati Medical College. 15.10.92 to 31.01.93.
4. Workshop on Laparoscopic Surgery at the Calcutta Medical Research Institute, Calcutta; conducted by Dr. James Wellwood. Feb ’93.
5. Conducted Workshop on Laparoscopic Surgery and hands on training at Institute of Human Reproduction, Guwahati, Assam. Sept. ’93 and Nov. ’93.
6. Appointed National Course Instructor for Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education, Mumbai under IAGES. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy courses since Feb ’95 .
7. “Advanced techniques in Endoscopic Surgery – Laparoscopic suturing and knotting” course at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, 01.03.96 to 03.03.96.
8. Conducted Workshop on Laparoscopic Surgery as course facility in the Annual Conference of Association of Surgeons of Assam at Guwahati, Oct ’96.
9. Attended Workshop on Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery at “P.D. Hinduja Hospital” and Research Centre, Mumbai, 18th Nov. ’96.
10. Continuing Medical Education Programme of “VII Annual Conference of Association of Surgeons of Assam”, Guwahati, Oct ’96. Organising Secretary of the Conference.
11. 2nd International Workshop on Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy, Mumbai. Sep.’97
12. Short-term clinical training in Gastro-intestinal Endoscopy from 04.01.98 to 17.01.98 at the “All India Institute of Medical Sciences”, New Delhi.
13. Convened 1st East Zonal Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery Workshop at Guwahati on 22nd - 23rd Aug. ’98.
14. International conference and workshop on Pancreatic Diseases. Bombay Hospital Institute of Medical Sciences. 5th-7th January2001,Mumbai.
15. Conducted workshop on Therapeutic Endoscopy at G N R C Hospital Jan 2003
16. Conducted Hands on Training in Laparoscopic surgery cum CME at Swagat ESRI 22nd, 23rd, 24th March 2002.
17. Conducted workshop as Laparoscopic Surgery at A.G. Nursing Home Jorhat Assam. 6th & 7th April ’2002.
18. Moderated Therapeutic Endoscopy Workshop at Kothari Medical Centre, Kolkata 10th & 11th Aug’2002.
19. Conducted Workshop on Basic Laparoscopic surgery at Swagat ESRI 19th Jan 2002
20. Conducted Hands –on Training cum CME as Laparoscopic surgery at Swagat ESRI 27th, 28th, 29th March’2003.
21. Conducted G.I. Endoscopy training Course at Swagat ESRI, 24th & 25th Jan’2004.
22. Conducted Hernia Workshop-Surgical Update & CME at Swagat ESRI 6th &7th Nov’2004.
23. Conducted live surgeries as faculty in the workshop “A DAY IN LAPAROSCOPIC HERNIA SURGERY”, conference cum workshop held at ILS Multispeciality Clinic, Kolkata, 24th July 2005.
24. Attended training programme for “The BioEntrics Intragastric Balloon (BIB ) System” a workshop organized by Centre for Obesity & Diabetes Support at Mumbai on the 9th April 2010.
25. Attended Laparoscopic Workshop on “Single – Portal Access Surgery” on the 30th May 2010 organized by Max Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi.
26. Moderated Live Surgery and delivered lecture on “Master Class in Bariartric & Metabolic Surgery” organized by ILS Hospital, Kolkata on the 10th & 11th July 2010.
27. Attended the “1st International Conference and Live Workshop on lleal Interposition For Type – 2 Diabetes” held on 21st – 22nd August 2010 at Hyderabad.
28. Conducted Live Surgery and delivered lecture as a faculty at the “Minimal Invasive Surgical Conference” on the 28th & 29th of August 2010 at Medinova Diagnosis & Services Hospital and Research Centre, Silchar.
29. Conducted 11th Fellowship Course of IAGES at Guwahati on the 2nd – 5th of Dec 2010.
30. Participated in the AMASI – East Zone Workshop as a faculty in the scientific activities held at Guwahati on the 5th March 2011.
31. Attended the “1st International Conference and Live Operative Workshop on Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery” on the 29th April – 1st May at Mumbai.
32. Academic contribution in “Minimally – Invasive Anal Fistula treatment (MAFT), First Asia Pacific CME & Live Workshop” organized by Max Institute of Minimal Access Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery on the 25th June 2011 at New Delhi.
33. Invited at Guest Faculty to the 2nd Edition of Healthex- International Exhibition on Hospital, Medical and Surgical Equipment, and Allied Services held at Bangalore on the 5th – 7th August 2011.
34. Attended “The Biodesign Surgery Summit” on the 11th Oct 2011 at Chennai.
35. Conducted a Surgi-Quiz Session and also presented a scientific presentation on “Emerging Technology- Current Trends in Managing Complex Anal Fistula - VAAFT” at the 22nd Annual Conference of Association of Surgeons of Assam on the 28th – 30th Oct 2011 at Kaziranga.
36. Conducted First East Zonal Live Surgical Workshop on Single Incision And Reduced Port Laparoscopic Surgery Workshop and CME At Guwahati 26-27th November 2011.
37. “71st Annual Conference of The Association of Surgeons of India”, held at Kochi, Kerala on the 25th – 30th of Dec 2011.
38. Conducted Live Worshop in the “1st Fellowship course in Advance Laparoscopic Surgery – FALS 2012 – IAGES” held at Indore on the 12th Jan 2012 as a faculty and conducted Live Surgery on Complex Anal Fistula.
39. Invited to the “10th Biennial National Congress of IAGES & WORKSHOP on Minimally Access Surgery” on the 16th – 19th Feb 2012 at Ahmedabad and delivered guest lecture on VAAFT.
40. Conducted 22nd FIAGES on the 22nd – 25th March 2012 at Swagat Hospital, Guwahati And trained 50 surgeons and awarded Fellowship to them.
41. Participated in the CME on Surgical Site Infection held in GNRC Hospital, Guwahati on the 7th April 2012.
42. Conducted Live Surgery in “MARS – CON” – Minimal Access Revisional Surgery Conference and also delivered lecture on “Post Cholecystectomy Completion Cholecystectomy. ”held at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital & JayPee Siddharth, New Delhi on the 21st & 22nd April 2012
43. CONDUCTED –FIRST ZONAL ENDOSCOPIC THRYROID SURGERY WORKSHOP AND CME IN Guwahati on the 23rd-24th May 2012 .
44. Invited to deliver a lecture on “Role of Endoscopy on Managing Obstructive Jaundice” oraganised by a Society for the Study of Liver, Biliary tree and Pancreas at Guwahati on the 16th of June 2012.
45. CONDUCTED SURGICAL QUIZ at 23rd Annual Conference of Association of Surgeons of Assam, Dibrugarh 9th-11th November 2013
46. CONDUCTED LIVE HERNIA SURGICAL WORKSHOP as FACULTY at SURGICAL UPDATE 2013-JNIMS( Jawahar lal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences),Imphal,Manipur-9th and 10 th Feb 2013.
47. CONDUCTED LIVE SURGICAL WORKSHOP AS INVITED FACULTY-INDRAPRASTHA APOLLO HOSPITAL,NEW DELHI–NIMAS conference-26-27th April 2013.
48. Conducted Surgical Quiz As Quiz Master at ASACON 2013 –Annual Conference of Surgeons of Assam 8th-10th November 2013.
49. Conducted Live Surgical Workshop at ASACON 2013,8TH-10TH NOVEMBER 2013,Silchar Assam.
50. Conducted as Organising Chairman-The Second NORTH EAST ZONAL ASICON CME –Theme “Current Trends and Technologies in Surgery” 13th -14th Oct 2012 Guwahati
51. Conducted as Course Convenor the 8th Swagat Hands ON Basic Laparoscopy Training Course under ASA and Indian Association OF Gastro intestinal Endosurgeons on the 19th-21st sept 2014.
52. Conducted as Course Convenor the 2nd Swagat Hands ON VAAFT and Anorectal Course under ASA and Indian Association OF Gastro intestinal Endosurgeons on the 10th and 11 th oct 2014.
53. CONDUCTED The North East Zonal ASI CME at Guwahati as Organising Chairman . 7-8th march 2015.
1. “Advanced Endoscopic Surgery Skills” course at Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, Scotland. 14th - 19th July ’97.
2. World Congress of Gastro-entorology and Post Graduate course in Laparoscopic Surgery, Vienna, Austria, 5-11 Sept. 1998.
3. 7th World congress of Endoscopic Surgery. 1-4th June 2000 Singapore.
4. Conducted Live advanced surgical workshop and performed laparoscopic surgeries as invited faculty on 4-5June 2005 at Dhaka, Bangladesh.2nd International Congress, Society of Laparoscopic surgeons of Bangladesh. (International)
5. Attended as a faculty in a meeting of Asia Pacific Hernia Experts Meet on the 15th July 2010 at Shanghai, China.
6. Conducted Live Workshop on Complex Anal Fistula in San-Daniele del Friuli – Italy In July 2011.
7. Attended and participated at Operating Procedure of Endocrinological Surgery at the University of Pisa, Italy on the 5th July 2012.
8. Invited as a Faculty to the “International Courses on Coloproctology – Complex Anal Fistulas”, VAAFT : a new mini – invasive surgical treatment which was held on the 6th & 7th July 2012 at Rapallo, Italy
9. “Emergency Laparoscopic Surgery in acute abdomen” Guest lecture delivered at the Annual conference of International College of Surgeons held at Pattaya,Thailand 25th -27oct 2007
10. “Endoscopic thyroid and Breast Surgery” –Lecture delivered at the 39th Annual Conference of International College of Surgeons held 20th-24th oct 2014,Bali Indonesia
11. “VAAFT for Complex Anal Fistula-An Emerging Modality”. Lecture delivered at the 39th Annual Conference of International College of Surgeons held 20th-24th oct 2014,Bali Indonesia
1. First surgeon in North East India to start Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery. (1992)
2. First Surgeon in Assam and North East India to start use of Staplers in intestinal surgery.
3. First Surgeon in North East India to complete 20000 Laparoscopic procedures.
4. First Executive member—East-Indian Association of Gastro-intestinal Endosurgeons (IAGES) 1995.
5. First Laparoscopic Surgeon from Assam and Eastern States to be recognised as a National Trainer for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy courses at Ethicon Institute, Mumbai, which is recognised by the IAGES- 1995.
6. Vice President of Indian Association of Gastro-intestinal Endosurgeons (IAGES), 1998-2000.
7. Started the First Centre of Minimal Access Surgery in the Eastern India in June 2000 along with first such Training centre in the North East.
8. Vice President (IAGES), 2000-2002 – Second Term.
9. Member - Advisory Committee - Postdoctoral courses in Minimally Access Surgery - National Board of Examinations (N.B.E.).
10. Member Core Committee of experts to formulate Guidelines for Minimal Access Surgery in the country 2001 – Book released by the President of India.
11. Examiner National Board of Examinations for D N B Minimal Access Surgery 2001 and 2002 and 2003.
12. Appointed Inspector by the National Board of Examinations, Ministry of Health, Govt of India, and New Delhi for accreditation of centres for Postdoctoral courses in Minimal Access Surgery.
13. Vice President of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons 2004-2006 – Third Term.
14. Member of Editorial Board of Journal Of Minimal Access Surgery of I A G E S (June 2004).
15. Joint Editor – The Clarion, International Multidisciplinary Journal.
16. Swagat Endosurgical Skills Centre Hands On Training courses approved by the Indian Association Of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons.Oct 2005.
17. Governing Council Member-Association of Surgeons Of India (Assam) for the period 2007-2009.
18. Vice President of Hernia Society of India 2007 – 2010 and 2010 -2013.
19. First to conduct 1st North East Zonal ASICON CME in 2009.-Current Trends and Technologies in Surgery.
20. First Surgeon of the region to conduct and demonstrate Live Surgery for Complex Anal Fistula in Europe Live Workshop on Complex Anal Fistula in San-Daniele del Friuli – Italy In July 2011.
21. Honoured as a faculty in First National Conference on “Minimally Access Revisional Surgery” organised by Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi on 21st& 22nd April 2012 and demonstrated Live Revisional Surgeries.
22. First Assam Surgeon honoured with the FALS (Honorary Fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery) on Feb 2012 by IAGES at the First Course held in Indore.
23. Honoured with the Honorary Fellowship of International College of Laparoscopic Surgeon (FICLS) presented by Dr. Ramesh Deka, Director, AIIMS – the first Fellowship to a surgeon of Assam.
24. Conducted the First North East Zonal Endoscopic & Conventional Thyroidectomy - Live Workshop cum CME at Guwahati also first to start this technique of scarless thyroid gland surgery may 2012.
25. First from the North East region to be invited as a faculty for an Instructional course on Coloproctology held at Rapallo, Italy on the 6th – 7th July 2012.
26. First surgeon in the North East India to start Scarless Breast Lump surgery in December 2012(12-12-12).
27. Started Swagat Academy of Medical Science in Affilation with the State University (Srimanta Sankardev University of Health Sciences) for teaching courses- Fellowship and diplomas in minimal access and other surgical specialities-2013.
28. President Assam State Chapter-Association of Surgeons of India (2014)
29. DPRC Award of Medical Excellence for the year 2015 received in july 2015.
30. First In North East to start the technique of iscan Endoscopy. August 2015.
31. First in the North east to start the technique of Spy Glass Cholangioscopy in Nov 2015.
32. First Center in India to demonstrate live the emerging and Innovative technique of Transoral thyroidectomy at a workshop held at Swagat Super speciality institute held on the 18th-19th June 2016.
33. Swagat Skills Centre approved by Medical Council of India for allowing foreign surgeons to undergo training in 2014.
34. Invited as Faculty to a workshop in All India Institute of Medical Sciences to demonstrate live surgery of Rare Lumbar Hernia.
35. Conducted the first eastern and second National Hands on training cum Endoscopy fellowship course under the I A G E S for the surgeons in may 2017.
36. Appointment as member of Indian International Minimal Access Foundation (IIMSF) Board of Directors and the Executive Committee in 2017.
37. Presently the President of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons (IAGES) for 2018-2019, the first surgeons from North East India to head this prestigious body.
38. Presently Elected Unopposed Vice President of International College of Surgeons (Indian Section) for 2019-2020.
39. Initiated and conducted the first Advanced G.I Endoscopy Fellowship for surgeons FAGIE 2018, 22nd to 24th June 2018. Guwahati.
40. Guwahati Healthcare Leadership Award 2018. First award of the newly Instituted Award by Guwahati Healthcare Leadership Award 2018 on 14th Dec 2018.
1. Lipoblastoma—A rare presentation in the parapharyngeal space. Journal of NEBAOI Vol. IV, 1993.
2. “Galactocele”—A case report. Journal of Association of Surgeons of Assam (JASA). Oct. ’94.
3. “Laparoscopy & Training of a Surgeon”—JASA, Oct. ’96.
4. “Complications in Laparoscopic General Surgery”—Chapter published in “Recent Advances in Surgery -1999”—Editor R.L. Gupta, Meerut, India.
5. “Minimal Access Surgery-Guidelines and Recommendations” – published 2002-contributed chapters in the book –approved by medical Council of India and Ministry of Health
6. “Post Laparoscopy Port Infection” -Chapter published in the Monograph of International conference on Minimal Access Surgery-Complications and mishaps reduction strategy organised by Sir Ganga Ram Hospital and IAGES Feb 2005 N Delhi
7. Principle and Technique of Endoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair chapter contributed to A “Monograph on Hernia” published by Institute of laparoscopic Surgery, Kolkata
8. Endoscopic metal stenting for carcinoma oesophagus- a better palliative perspective, Journal of Otorhinolarynology and Head and Neck surgery, Jan- April 2006.
9. “Laparoscopic Surgery During Pregnancy”-Chapter published in “Recent Advances in Surgery” 2006-10th edition-Editor R.L.Gupta, Merrut ,India
10. “Laparoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair- Principles and Technique” –Journal of Association of Surgeons of Assam Vol 14(1) 2006
11. “The Adult Neck Mass” Physicians Digest Feb March vol 15(60 2007.
12. “How to Predict a Difficult Cholecystectomy and When to Convert”-Chapter Contributed to “Comprehensive Laparoscopic Surgery” a text book published by Indian Association Of Gasto- intestinal Endosurgeons’ March 2007.
13. “Intragastric Balloon- Indication, Efficacy, Complications & Results”- Monograph on Essentials of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery, First Edition, 2010- Editor Dr. Om Tantia
14. “Video endoscopic treatment of complex anal fistula- a new emerging treatment modality”- Chapter published in The Clarion – International Multidisciplinary Journal, Volume 1, February 2012.
- Laparoscopic Surgeon Guwahati
- Hepato Pancreatico Biliary Surgery and Liver Transplant
- ERCP and Advanced Endoscopy
- ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
- Oncosurgery Cancer surgery
- Orthopaedics and Joint replacement
- Plastic Surgery
- Aesthetics and Cosmetology
- Bariatric (Weight loss) and Metabolic Surgery
- Cardiology and General Medicine
- Anaesthesiology, ICU and Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- Radio Diagnosis
- Vertigo Clinic
- Dental Clinic
- Gastroenterologist Surgeon Guwahati
- Residents Medical Officer
- Dept. Of Hepato-Biliary And Liver Transplant Surgeon
- Dept. Of Minimal Access Surgery,Endoscopic And Bariatric Surgery
- Gastro Surgery and Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Emergency And Accident